Student Spotlight: Nykeevia, Carter High School, Dallas, Texas
First year transfer student, Nykeevia at Carter High School in Dallas, is embracing the JKL program to enhance her overall high school experience.
Upon arrival to Carter HS, Nykeevia felt left out as a new student because she didn’t have the opportunity to establish new friendships. Once JKL instructor, Coach Cross, made Nykeevia aware of the program, all of her anxieties started to go away. “Nykeevia is a very friendly and helpful JKL student.
She still tends to be shy, but once she warms up she fits right in with her JKL peers”- Coach Cross. Nykeevia has found a voice in the JKL program by expressing herself during the Gratitude Circle which has helped her build new friendships. Nykeevia loves the positive environment, healthy nutrition demos, and the motivation her peers provide her during workout activities.
Nykeevia is on a mission to improve her eating habits and incorporate fitness training into her daily life. She is drinking more water and removing chips from her everyday diet. We are so happy to have Nykeevia join the JKL family and can’t wait to see her blossom in the program!
A VIP Evening in Austin!
On January 15th, 100 just keep livin students from our four afterschool programs in Austin enjoyed a special evening with our Founders, Camila and Matthew McConaughey!
The high schoolers were pampered with a Braid Bar, Glitter Bar and Mobile Barbershop before their private screening of Star Wars! Matthew and Camila were on-hand to welcome the students as they hopped off the bus, and Matthew spoke to the kids about the importance of “staying curious,” which was the “Monthly Quote” for January.
And what’s a movie night without some yummy snacks? The kids flipped for the assortment of mini cupcakes from Sprinkles, the delicious popcorn provided by AMC Theatres, and the boxes of chicken sandwiches and coleslaw generously donated by Raising Cane’s which they grabbed for the bus ride home.
We ended the night with a moving and heartfelt Gratitude Circle. We’re so thankful to all of the vendors who donated to help make this night so much fun for the kids!
What Are You Grateful For?
"I’m grateful that I get to graduate this year and I have the chance to continue my journey"
"I’m grateful for my friends and family, especially for the people I’ve met through just keep livin. They always push me to be the best person I can be."
"I’m grateful for my mom who always pushes me to do my best"
CAVS Academy at John Adams
On Monday, January 20th, our JKL kids from John Adams volunteered to help run the Cavalier Academy camp at the high school!
The Cleveland Cavaliers are committed to inspiring youth to grow the game of basketball. Our students had so much fun assisting the coaches to create a positive environment, build confidence, motivate the kids and assist the coaches!
After a fun filled event working with youth from around the surrounding area, our students were so grateful to have the opportunity to attend the Cavaliers/Knicks game that evening! A great big thank you to the Cavaliers Organization for providing that experience for our kids!
Rose Bowl 5k
On a cold February morning in beautiful Pasadena, California, over 50 of our Los Angeles JKL students and staff geared up for the Rose Bowl 5k Race!
This was our second time participating in the event and our students had a blast. We had many first time racers finish with big smiles on their faces. Other students and staff members hit their personal best records for the day!
Our efforts were led by our amazing wellness & yoga instructor, Kirschen Katz. She led a group stretch and gave us some words of wisdom before the race. All around, the day was a huge success and we have marked our calendars for next year’s Rose Bowl 5k Race!
Beller Nutrition Recipe of the Month
Frozen Banana Nut Bites
Rachel Beller MS, RDN
Makes: 2 servings
• 2 bananas, halved lengthwise
• 2 tablespoons almond butter or your favorite nut butter
• Several dashes ground cinnamon and/or cacao powder
1. Spread half the nut butter on one of the banana halves and sprinkle with cacao and/or cinnamon as desired. Place a second banana half on top of the first to create a sandwich and repeat with the remaining banana.
2. Wrap each banana sandwich in parchment paper and place both of them in a large ziplock bag or airtight container. Freeze for at least 1 hour.
3. When you’re ready to eat, remove the sandwiches from the freezer and simply slice each sandwich into smaller pieces. These will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
We love a good homemade pizza (yum!) and are always looking for ways to make more creative and healthy versions of this classic!
Now, we know gluten-free or cauliflower crust is all the rage lately, but have you ever tried making mini pizzas with an eggplant base? It is soooo yummy and savory … Just bake your eggplant in the oven, and simply add the ingredients on top before a quick broil.
To make ours, we used fresh basil from our garden, tomatoes, organic tomato sauce and provolone cheese … But the best part about this recipe is you can add as many toppings as you want! So feel free to get creative. This recipe is a great snack, dinner option or even party appetizer for both kids and adults!
• 2 large eggplants
• 24 oz jar organic tomato sauce
• 20 slices provolone (or mozzarella) cheese
• 3-4 oz fresh organic cherry tomatoes, sliced
• organic basil, as desired
• 1/2 tsp himalayan salt
• pepper flakes, optional
• 1 cup each additional topping, as desired
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Slice the eggplant into 1 inch thick round pieces.
3. In two baking trays arrange the sliced eggplants.
4. Sprinkle the Himalayan salt and bake for 15-20 minutes.
5. Remove the bake eggplant from the oven and turn your broiler on.
6. Spread 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce over each eggplant round followed by one slice of provolone.
7. Arrange some fresh spinach and cherry tomatoes over the cheese and broil for 3-5 minutes.
Make sure you keep a close look while the eggplant is under the broiler as they can burn really fast.
Swag of the Month:
There is plenty of cold weather left to enjoy this classic fleece lined knit beanie! Be the coolest (or warmest) on the slopes this season.