This component of our program encourages kids to gain an understanding of the mind and body connection. We believe the right mindset is important to make healthy choices and exercising the mind is just as important as exercising the body.
Some activities include:
- Gratitude Circle: In each session we encourage the students to go around and share something small or large they are thankful for that day. It is a place to be grateful for what you have and what you’ve accomplished
- Guest Speakers: Speakers range from actors to athletes to executives as well as professionals in health, beauty and fitness. Some topics include overcoming obstacles, being a leader and relaxation techniques
- Positive incentives: Our students are incentivized with field trips such as sporting events and field trips
- Journals: Each student is given a journal that includes inspirational quotes on topics such as courage, setting goals and respect. It also provides a place for them to record their progress
- Community of Support:: Our program fosters a diverse community of students that encourage each other inside and outside the program
“The j.k. livin’ program has been the first program to effectively bring in a diverse group of students on a voluntary basis. These kids have all progressed in their own way. Some have grown more confident socially, others have grown more confident physically, while others have used it as a platform for support their existing sporting and social networks. Overall the program has been a huge success, and brought a lot of growth and happiness to all involved including myself!!” - Missy Shepherd, Venice High School